After the last episode of Project Runway, I think it’s safe to say it’s anyone’s game. I really like seeing the designers have a comeback, and Nathalia did that this week. Here are my power rankings after last night’s episode.
- Nathalia– Nathalia had such a great comeback. The only thing that would’ve made it better was if she won the challenge. Her coat and pants were so impressive and I thought her styling with the slicked back hair screamed street style. She should’ve won hands down.
- Lawrence– I loved Lawrence’s jacket. Everything she does is so tailored and well thought out. The color was bold, and I definitely think she stepped away from the all black that she’s been doing. The drop crotch pants were the only piece that didn’t work.
- Jenni– Jenni pulled out a really pretty two piece that I can see tons of girls wanting. It’s wearable, and I can see why so many people wanting it. I’m surprised it was just safe. Actually, the next few looks below Jenni were also equally surprising to see safe.
- Roberi– Roberi had three pieces that worked so well together. I loved the draping with it too. His style is romantic and I thought he did a great job of translating that to street wear.
- Rik– Rik also had a very strong piece that I liked a lot. It was definitely a nice play on textures. The ripped textures and braided hair really worked here, and the fit was awesome too.
- Dexter– OK, so here’s why I’m confused. How did Dexter end up on the top if so many of the judges hated it? I mean, I thought it wasn’t as good as Roberi’s or Jenni’s, but then the judges don’t love it? I’m confused. I did like the color, but it just didn’t seem like a top three look for me.
- Mah-Jing- Mah-Jing’s dress was just okay for me. I didn’t love it, but it was also a pretty safe look. I didn’t like the jacket paired with the dress. They were both nice pieces, but not together.
- Erin– Erin brought another yellow piece. I understood what she was trying to go for, but the execution was off. Putting playful embellishments has to be done right. In the first few challenges, she nailed it with fashion forward designs. She’s slipping a little, so hopefully she comes back to the top.
- Brik- Oh Brik. I’m going to miss him. He just has such a fun personality, and I want to be friends with him. Anyway, I didn’t think his outfit was that bad. The fabric choices were not good at all, but I liked the idea.
- Cornelius– Cornelius was by far the worst. The jeans looked like jeggings and the top was so poorly made, it actually made me uncomfortable for the model. But he’s proven his designs to be somewhat strong in the past, so he was saved since Brik has been in the bottom twice. Stay tuned for next week’s recap.
So I’ve been MIA with my Project Runway recaps because of my busy schedule. I did, however, finally catch up, so I’m going to do a little power rankings post.
By the way, this recap is based off of both design and personality, so some designers might be ranked a little higher purely because they’re entertaining. I also included my favorite look from each designer.
- Laurence– Laurence is such a badass on the show. After the first episode, I was a little disapointed, but I love her sleek, edgy aesthetic. Her looks are always chic and expensive looking, and honestly, I just love her personality too. Her leather jacket and dress from the last challenge have been my favorites so far.
- Rik– Rik is also someone whose personality I really like. He just seems so humble about all the success he’s gotten so far. His designs are really sleek as well, and his swimsuit was one of my favorite pieces from this season so far.
- Erin- Erin is clearly a force to be reckon with. Her aesthetic is really quirky and her emebellishments are super unique. I really liked the black light challenge because she used this concept of turning something pretty into something sexy.
- Jenni– Jenni is another person whose style is really refreshing and modern. Her dress from the last challenge was stunning and the color and embellishment made it look super expensive.
- Dexter– Sure Dexter got a little carried away with Erin, but I didn’t think his fringe dress was that bad. I really started liking Dexter after the team challenge. He was authoritative but still kept his fun personality alive. He’s definitely someone I can see going far.
- Roberi– Roberi’s swimsuit was awesome in the fourth episode. It was such a playful print. Personally, I like how whimsical and imaginative his designs are.
- Mah-Jing– Mah-Jing is so high because I love his personality. His vest was the one piece I liked of the collection, and I thought his tears over Tasha was so sweet.
- Brik- Brik should technically be at the bottom based on his first few designs, but I like Brik’s personality and energy on the show. He has a lot of funny sound bites, and it’d be cool if he made a comeback.
- Cornelius- Cornelius is such a character. He’s so snarky, but I love the drama he brings. His designs aren’t my favorite, but the emoji dress he made was so amazing. He should’ve won that challenge.
- Nathalia- Nathalia is on the bottom because she just isn’t that memorable. I love this look below. It was definitely a standout. The fact that she’s on my bottom shows how talented the designers are this year.
So Project Runway is back with Season 14. I’m so excited after a great last season with my favorite, Sean Kelly, winning with his fringe collection. The designers all have great feisty personalities, but overall, I wasn’t that impressed with the designs. However, I’m stoked that the next episode is the unconventional challenge. That’s always where the best designs are.
- Ashley– I loved this look! The top reminds me of white eyelet to wear during the summer and spring. Nina was so on point about her design being the only one with texture. The back scalloped is modern and fresh, and she definitely has a point of view. I can’t wait to see more from her, and I’m so glad she got the confidence boost that she needed.
- David– I can’t believe he wasn’t in the top 3. He was one of the few designers to successfully mix prints, and he made it sleek by making a very billowy maxi dress with oversized sleeves. I’m interested to see more of his design aesthetic.
- Edmond– This was a much better look than it was earlier in the episode. It’s a basic tube dress with a nice neon pop to make the design original. It was a nice representation of his style. He seems like he’s going to have a street, edgy aesthetic.
- Amanda– I thought this look had potential to be in the top three as well. The colors are great together and the fit is perfect. Amanda’s style seems fun and flirty with bright colors.
- Laurie– This was a well-constructed dress with a ridiculous slit, but it wasn’t terrible.
- Merline– If this orange dress was in a chiffon or another lightweight fabric, then it would be great.
- Swapnil– The top was so interesting and would look amazing with a maxi skirt. Instead, it was paired with a stiff skirt. It’s a shame because the top part is really modern and cool.
- Lindsey– This wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t anything special. It looks like a safe dress/romper to make for the first challenge. Her aesthetic seems really quirky so hopefully we’ll see more of her design.
- Joseph– I don’t even remember this one. But it’s okay.
- Jake– Tim was right. The fabric is the only thing that makes this dress special.
- Candice– This was another well-constructed dress with an interesting peplum top portion.
- Blake– I think Blake is a sweetheart, but there’s too much in this dress.
- Gabrielle– This was so boring and I thought this was ill fitting. And she wasn’t shown at all.
- Duncan– This dress was badly draped, but I honestly think he left based on his answers to the judges. It’s never a good answer to say that you don’t know who you are as a designer. It’s a shame though because his portfolio looked awesome.
- Hanmiao– I liked the idea of this dress. It just wasn’t executed right.
- Kelly– This was my least favorite of the episode. I just thought the styling was not good, and the asymmetrical straps just looked sloppy.
- I loved that Tim didn’t sugarcoat how bad some of these outfits looked. This is a simple challenge, and a lot of people went way too simple, and relied on their fabric.
- I can’t believe three designers didn’t bring their kits.
- Ashley is my favorite so far. She’s got a great story and a clear voice. David is also someone to look out for.
- Based on the edit, someone introduced in the beginning segment is going to win…Or they hide the winner like they did with both Dom and Sean.
Not sure if this is going to be the permanent format for my blog, but for now, I’ll share my thoughts on all designers after each episode. Hope you liked this quick review.