So around this time, girls start worrying about getting the perfect prom dress! If it’s your first time buying a prom dress, there are definitely some tips you should take into account before buying your dress. Before I start, I just wanted to say that I drew a lot of these tips from my own personal experiences!
1) Buy the magazines– There’s already so many prom magazines including the Seventeen magazine prom edition. You aren’t necessarily going to find a dress in there that you’ll order or buy, but you can at least get an idea of what you want. Do you want a fitted styled dress or a princess style? What color would look good on you? Also, there’s tons of hairstyles in there. If you’re going to get your hair done at a salon, bring in the magazine to show your stylist exactly what you want.
2) Go for fit over style– When I first started looking for dresses, I really wanted a Grecian style that flowed down and looked whimsical. However, when I started trying on dresses, I found a lace cobalt dress that was super fitted. I had to choose between style and fit, and I’m glad I chose the fit because I looked much more natural in a dress that fit like a glove. If a princess style accentuates your shape the best, then for that style. If it’s a mermaid style, then go for that shape!
3) Don’t waste time on the shoes– I get that girls want the look to be perfect, but I was a little more practical when it came to the shoe. As much as I wanted a super bedazzled shoe, I knew it would be the only time I wore them. So, I opted for a nude pair of pumps! I’ve worn them to a lot of events since then, and I’m glad I didn’t overspend on shoes that were barely going to be seen with my gown.
4) Simpler might be better- I remember wanting to have the best dress. Every girl wants to the showstopper. However, accessories are underrated. With my cobalt blue dress, I paired it with a bright orange jeweled statement necklace. The colors were bright and contrasted well. The year after, I bought a plain pleated coral colored dress. I used a blue ribbon to tie at the waist and added another jeweled necklace. Accent your dress! It’ll make your look more original and unique. If your dress is covered in jewels or glitter, try to keep the accessories minimal.
5) Don’t Buy Online- This is obviously my own opinion, because I know a lot of people choose to buy theirs online. However, from my personal experience along with my friend’s, I don’t recommend buying it online. Don’t fall for the pictured looks. I think it’s too risky.The fit could be wrong, or the color could be off. For my case, both were problems, and I ended up with an ill-fitted dress. I then had to scramble to find a new dress.
6) Don’t Stress- Remember to relax. Prom is supposed to be fun. Don’t feel pressured to look perfect. Just try to look like the best version of yourself, and you’ll look beautiful. 🙂
Happy Sunday! Follow me if you liked this post!